Once a year in June, before permit sales open for the next year, we offer CCS Staff the option to request an upgrade to an A permit, and we offer faculty/A&P employees the option to request a downgrade to a B permit. Upgrades and downgrades are granted through an annual lottery process. The deadline to enter the upgrade/downgrade lottery for the 2020-2021 permit year is Friday, June 26, 2020.
- As you may already know, the university determines permit eligibility, and it is based on employment classification. The upgrade/downgrade program is offered as an option to allow faculty and staff to purchase a permit that is offered to a different employment classification.
- Upgrades/downgrades are awarded at random. The number awarded varies each year, depending on request volume.
- Faculty and staff who want to purchase a permit outside of their classification must submit an upgrade or downgrade request every permit year.
- Faculty and Administrative & Professional employees may request a downgrade to a B permit.
- Classified Civil Service Staff may request an upgrade to an A permit.
- Student permits or any other permit types are not eligible for upgrades or downgrades.
If you submit a request, you will receive an email by Tuesday, June 30th notifying if you were awarded an upgrade/downgrade.
Note: faculty and staff do not need to request an upgrade or downgrade to exchange permits that are within their classification, such as exchanging an A permit for a WA permit. To exchange a permit within a classification, please contact our Customer Care team.